Haunted Virginia

Peyton Randolph House

Photo Credit: MakingHistoryNow.com

William Robertson began construction on this house in 1715, which ended up being the west wing of what is now called the Peyton Randolph House. Sir John Randolph, the only American born in Virginia who was also knighted, bought the property from Robertson in 1721 and continued to build on it. The house was then passed on to Sir John's son, Peyton. Leading up to the American Revolution, Peyton served as Speaker of the House of Burgesses in Virginia and was later elected as president of the First and Second Continental Congress. George Washington, General Rochambeau, a French general who was part of the siege on Yorktown at the end of the Revolutionary War, and the Marquis de Lafayette are notable visitors to the house. The house also served as headquarters for Rochambeau and Washington so they could prepare for their attack on General Cornwallis at Yorktown.
A house with this much history behind it will also have some fatalities. There are around 30 deaths recorded in this house, ranging from suicide, illness, and accidents, such as a young boy falling from a tree in the back of the property and a young girl falling out of a window on the second floor. Activity has been reported as far back as the early 19th century as Lafayette later wrote after his stay in the house during his U.S. tour, "I felt a hand on my shoulder. It nudged me as if intending to keep me from entering. I quickly turned, but found no one there" (Colonial Ghosts). There are a couple of theories that try to explain why it's so haunted. The house's foundation covers an Indian burial ground that was discovered in the early 20th century, so that might just do it. The house also served as a hospital during the Battle of Williamsburg in 1862 for both Union and Confederate soldiers, so it's possible some men did not leave. There is also a prevailing thought that a former slave, one of over 100 on the property, of the Randolph's cursed the family and house after she was separated from her son. Either way, this house is considered one of the most haunted sites on the East coast with full body apparitions, unexplained voices and groans, doorknobs shaking on their own, and tourists and employees being pushed or shaken.

George Wythe House

Photo Credit: Colonial Williamsburg

Any history buff would love to take a tour through the George Wythe (pronounced "with") House. George Wythe was the United States' first law professor and also the first Virginian citizen to commit treason by signing the Declaration of Independence. The house also served as headquarters at one point for George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette. George Wythe was a key player in the American Revolution, in addition to acting as a mentor to Thomas Jefferson and John Marshall.
It can't be confirmed if Wythe haunts his old home since he did not die there, but some visitors claim he is still there, or at least comes back on the anniversary of his death (June 8th). His nephew, George Sweeney, allegedly poisoned him in order to cash in on his inheritance. One confirmed entity is the Lady Ann Skipworth, who died in the house. There are reports she died in her husband's arms after suffering a miscarriage; however, the other two stories implicate her husband, Sir Peyton Skipworth, in an affair, possibly with Ann's sister, and that led to Ann's suicide. After Ann died, Sir Peyton married her sister, which gave the rumors more credence and could be why Ann tends to make her presence known often. Today, visitors sometimes hear a door slam or the thud of her missing shoe dropping, which actually did happen on the night she died. She's also seen exiting the closet in her old room and looking at herself in a mirror, seemingly entranced. If you're eager for a paranormal encounter, you can go up to the closet and declare, "Lady Skipwith, Lady Skipwith, I found your red shoe!" She may just come rushing out to get it!

The Kimball Theatre
Kimball Theater

Photo Credit: Reserve Williamsburg

The Kimball Theater is one of the few buildings in historical Williamsburg that did not have to be reconstructed and, in a sense, became the centerpiece of John D. Rockefeller, Jr.'s vision of recreating a Colonial Williamsburg. However, before it was the Williamsburg Theater, it served as an improvised hospital during the Civil War, and even before that, it was the home of the Ware family. When it served as a hospital, the ladies of the house cared for wounded soldiers during the battle of Williamsburg; however, when the Union army marched through, they were unable to hide one dead Confederate soldier. The Union soldier who found the body was shocked to discover it was actually his own brother's body. The Union brother unfortunately died shortly in another battle.
Though it is now under the umbrella of the College of William and Mary, the ghosts don't seem to notice the passage of time. The Union soldier who died shortly after seeing his Confederate brother's corpse has been seen backstage on some unknown, but clearly important, mission. Another Civil War soldier has also been seen in the theater, but he appears to be in a grey uniform. Could it be the brothers are stuck where they suffered so much pain? There are other curious occurrences, but for now, you'll have to find your seat...

Public Gaol
cork street

Photo Credit: Colonial Ghosts

When a city is made the capital of a young state, it's important to have all of the necessary infrastructure in place to support the community. One of the first buildings deemed necessary by Virginia's general assembly to build in 1701 was the Public Gaol (pronounced "jail"). The majority of the inhabitants of the Public Gaol were men and women waiting to attend their trial, convicts waiting for their sentence to be carried out or runaway slaves. During the Revolutionary War, Tories, spies, deserters and traitors were regularly incarcerated here, though it was originally designed to not contain long-term prisoners. Despite this, there were some fairly infamous criminals of the day who were locked in the Public Gaol, some of which were known pirates under the command of Blackbeard and Governor Henry Hamilton, also known as "Hair Buyer" and "Scalptaker." Hamilton was the lieutenant governer of British Detroit at the time and was rumored to purchase the scalps of dead settlers from Native Americans, hence the colorful nicknames.
Conditions were horrible for the prisoners, even a lieutenant governor like Hamilton; the cells were bare and without any form of heat, so it wasn't unusual for prisoners to die from exposure. There was also the spread of Gaol Fever, which was most likely typhus, and meager rations of soggy peas and highly salted beef. For the most part, it would seem the female prisoners were kept in the upstairs quarters since disembodied voices and the thumping of shoes are still heard up there. The ball and chains are still sitting in the cells and have been witnessed to move on their own, which is quite a feat since they're at least 50 pounds. Voices have also been heard in the cells by the courtyard when there were no visitors present. Not only did the Public Gaol serve as a holding cell, it was also used as a debtor's prison and a place to keep the the mentally ill. In the nearly two centuries it was in operation, perhaps some of the prisoners could never really leave or the suffering they endured has simply left its inescapable mark.

King's Arms Tavern
kings arms

Photo Credit: Colonial Ghosts

The land the King's Arms Tavern lies is actually the second home to this tavern and was officially established in its current location in 1772 by Jane Vobe. This was a prime location as Duck of Gloucester Street was frequented by locals and visitors alike. There are numerous favorable testimonies to the service found at "M. Jane Vobe's," and why wouldn't it? According to Mrs. Vobe, the King's Arms Tavern was "a place wehre the best people resorted." Not only was she a keen businesswoman, but even though she owned slaves, she still sent a few of the children to school. The tavern continued to run through the Revolutionary War and many traitorous soldiers and officers ran a quite a tab, including room and board. It's rumored the King's Arms Tavern was an ideal place to discuss strategy and politics, before and after the war.
Jane Vobe eventually sold the tavern in 1787 and moved to Richmond, since by then Williamsburg was no longer the capital of Virginia. Philip Moody then bought the property and renamed his business the Eagle Tavern. During the 19th century, the property's history slowly evolved into legend, along with the tavern's resident ghost, Irma. She is said to be a former employee or manager who unfortunately perished in a fire, which must have occurred between 1809 and 1949 due to the foot deep layer of ash found on one level of the cellar. It's speculated the fire was started by a dropped candle and now Irma has made it her mission in the afterlife to extinguish any lit candles in the tavern since they will. Irma enjoys being heard, but not seen, by the staff, but does not interact with diners; more than once, she has been referred to as Irma the friendly ghost whom employees bid goodnight at closing time.

Bacon's Castle
bacon castle

Photo Credit: Virginia is For Lovers

Built in 1665, Bacon's Castle is the oldest brick mansion in North America and was supposed to be the home of one of the wealthiest men at the time in Surry County, Virginia. No, it wasn't a man by the name of Bacon, but Arthur Allen, a wealthy merchant and a Justice of the Peace in Surry County. He died in 1669 and left his home and lands to his son, Arthur Allen II; Arthur II followed in his father's footsteps as a Justice of the Peace, when he was appointed to this office in 1675 by Governor Sir William Berkeley. One year later, he supported Governor Berkeley against Nathaniel Bacon, Jr., in Bacon's Rebellion, led several attacks against Bacon's followers and was even present when Bacon nearly destroyed Jamestown. From September to December, 1676, 70 to 80 rebels took over and plundered Allen's home, unsuccessfully searching for his hidden silver stash; after the rebellion, Allen was partially compensated for all of the stolen goods and damage done to his mansion. The mansion was not called "Bacon's Castle," until 1802, even though Nathaniel Bacon was not directly behind the seizure and plundering of the Allen home. It's not even clear why Nathaniel Bacon would receive this type of celebrity after his failed rebellion since he only rebelled against the English government because Berkeley wouldn't grant him a commission to lead a militia against all of the Native American tribes in Virginia.
The paranormal reports at Bacon's Castle go back so far in history that the origins are more akin to legend than actual fact. There is a Lady in White that has reportedly resided in Bacon's Castle since the 1800's, as well as what is described as a bright moving light across the property. This bright light is believed to be the spirit of a woman who ventured out one night with a torch to meet her lover, only to trip and catch on fire. However, this is not the only ball of light at Bacon's Castle; there are many reports of "fireballs" shooting down the stairs, rising from nearby graves and plummeting from the sky toward the mansion. There is another apparition of a young African American child who regularly pulls on visitors' pant legs to get their attention, but seeing a disembodied head of a former female slave may be a bit more shocking to behold. Owners of the mansion after the Allen Family had reportedly owned as many as 300 slaves residing in just 18 slave quarters that weren't even furnished with actual beds. It appears they won't even get rest in death. Though the basement is the most active space in the mansion, there have been reports of disembodied voices and screams, noises that sound like gunfire, books flying off shelves, doors opening and closing on their own and objects being inexplicably broken all over the house.

Staunton Train Depot
train depot

Photo Credit: Haunts.com

This is a story of the little train station that just wouldn't quit. Though Staunton did not get a lot of rail traffic until about a decade before the start of the Civil War, it was set to be a key hub of transportation in western Virginia. In 1864, about 10 years after the train depot was built, it was burnt down by General Hunter and the Army of the Shenandoah occupied and looted Staunton, and razed the train depot, thus eliminating the small town as a point of strategy in the war. Another depot was built after the war, but that too would be destroyed before the turn of the twentieth century. In April, 1890, as an express train descended into the Shenandoah Valley, it failed to slow down as the operator put pressure on the brake and continued to rapidly run along the numerous turns until it ultimately crashed into the Staunton Train Depot. Somehow, only one person died due to injuries she sustained during the accident and she is one of the most famous ghosts still haunting the quiet train depot. She may still linger because her life was cut much too short before she was able to realize her dreams of performing with her fellow opera company singers. Splinters from the building broke through Ms. Myrtle Ruth Knox's sleeper car and unfortunately impaled her leg, almost completely severing it, and also slicing through her femoral artery. Today, Ruth is most often seen at night and has been accused of being behind pulling visitors' hair.
In 1902, the third train depot was built by Thomas Jasper Collins in the bungalow-style you see today. It operated until 1960's as a station for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway and was later renovated in 1989 with the help of the Historic Staunton Foundation and now functions as an Amtrak stop along the Cardinal train route. Visitors and travelers alike have not only seen Ruth in her nightgown, but also at least one other poor soul who met their end on the tracks. A confederate soldier has been seen staggering along the tracks and was allegedly struck by a train as he was too drunk to notice its approach. It's theorized there are at least three spirits in total who haunt the old train depot, but locals also believe there could be as many as five. Unexplained lights, shadows and voices have been reported, which have also been recorded as EVP's by paranormal investigators.

By the Side of the Road Bed & Breakfast
by the side of the road

Photo Credit: By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages

Sitting right in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley, the building that has been By the Side of the Road Bed & Breakfast since 1999 has been through quite a lot. It was built after the Revolutionary War, around 1789, and was once the residence and church of Bishop Peter Burkholder, a progressive Mennonite Bishop and author, and his family. As a point of interest, Bishop Burkholder was considered progressive because preaching to his congregation in English, rather than German, was a radical notion at the time. The family cemetery remains on site with some of the family names still visible to visitors and guests. Like many residences during the Civil War, the house served as a makeshift hospital, presumably for Confederate soldiers since in 1864 General Philip Sheridan made no less than three unsuccessful attempts to burn the building to the ground. Due to the Inn's locust wood foundation and interior brick walls, the majority of the building withstood Sheridan's rampage through the South. In the very picture of irony, the then owner of the house, John B. Wenger, was an alleged Union sympathizer who offered his home as a hiding spot from Confederate forces.
The most active part of the inn appears to be the third floor where the current, and previous, traditionally owners reside; it is believed the former innkeepers and their daughter never left the bed and breakfast. Guests will often hear footsteps, as well as doors opening and closing on their own, originating from the third floor, leading them to believe the current owners are quite the night owls; however, when asked about their night activity, the owners deny being up at all in the early hours of the morning.

Cork Street Tavern
cork street

Photo Credit: Trekaroo

The original building for this tavern was built in the 1830's on one of the oldest streets in Winchester. It did not remain unscathed during the over 70 times the town changed hands between Union and Confederate forces during the Civil War. It wasn't always a tavern and housed many different businesses, up until the repeal of Prohibition. Then, in 1932, John Hockman and William Warrick opened The Rustic Tavern, a small beer parlor, which survived through the Great Depression and World War II. After the war, it turned into a fully functioning restaurant. During the 1970's and 80's, the tavern was moved next door to the site of an old church and the original site of The Rustic Tavern became the Colonial Inn; eventually, the tavern was renovated and expanded to take up three properties, including the original site.
Most reports of paranormal activity have occurred in the last 30 years, which is when renovations began and when staff meet two of the spirits at Cork Street Tavern, John and Emily. We know John's name because there is a female ghost that has been heard to call out, "John...", to a male ghost. The staff have just been accustomed to calling the female spirit, "Emily," who has been seen behind the bar and sometimes locks women in the bathroom. Both John and Emily are suspected of relighting the oil lamps in the tavern, as well. On the East side of the tavern, another spirit will trip women where there is nothing in the way. There are even rumors there is a body buried in the basement, but there is no evidence to support this; however, staff will feel uneasy down there, but it could be the mind playing tricks rather than the ghosts. Paranormal investigators have been able to record clear EVP's of someone yelling at them to get out and at one time, an investigator was grasped on their shoulder by a disembodied hand.

Historic Jordan Springs
jordan springs

Photo Credit: Colonial Ghosts

With a history going back all the way to the 1500's, it is quite accurate to call this property Historic Jordan Springs. The White Sulphur Spring and the Calibeate Spring was what initially brought both Native Americans and European settlers to this area until it was converted into a health spa and hotel by the Jordan Family in the early 1800's. There were three hotels in total on the family's land, the first of which was called White Sulfur Springs Resort Hotel with a Carriage House on the ground floor which is used today as a pub, but had also been used a surgery room during the Civil War. In 1855, the second larger hotel was built, but operations halted at the start of the Civil War and the hotels functioned primarily as hospitals for either side as the nearby town of Winchester traded hands 72 times; the majority of those who died on the property were also buried here as well, for a time until they were re-interred in a cemetery in Winchester.
The hotel and resort's most successful time occurred during the Antebellum years and lasted until the beginning of the twentieth century; however, after the Jordan Family started dying out or dispersing and the larger of the hotels burned down, the hotel ceased operations. From 1953 to 1972, the property was owned The Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity who operated a seminary and then it was leased as a drug rehabilitation facility until 1999. Numerous spirits have been caught on camera and appear to be in military garb, calling back to the resort's days as a Civil War hospital. Not only have full bodied apparitions been recorded, but also numerous EVP's from various paranormal investigation groups; Native Americans, Civil War soldiers and nurses have been recorded, in addition to the inexplicable cacophony of men, women and children from different time periods. If you need to blow off some steam and enjoy playing games, there's the ghost of a little girl who will play hide and seek with you, though she may have a bit of an advantage.

The Red Fox Inn & Tavern
red fox inn

Photo Credit: Red Fox Inn

This quaint little inn was originally called Chinn's Ordinary after the original owner Joseph Chinn, first cousin to patron and future president George Washington. It was built in 1728 and was a popular stop between Winchester and Alexandria; though it was an ordinary rest stop, the name "ordinary" back then was another term for a tavern or inn. During the Civil War, the inn was called the Beverage House and was used as headquarters for the Confederate Army and specifically used by General J.E.B. Stuart and Colonel John Mosby, also known as the Gray Ghost, as a meeting spot. Wounded Confederate soldiers were also cared for in the tavern area; when you walk into the tavern, you will notice a pine bar that was constructed from a field operating table. In 1937, it was saved from demolition and renamed The Red Fox Inn. Operating for over 275 years, it is the oldest continually run inn in the United States, not only serving notable military figures, but also Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, Joan Woodward, and Jackie Kennedy Onassis.
Although the tavern and inn have gone through renovations and war, there are few reports of ghosts at The Red Fox Inn. There is one ghost whom the staff has dubbed Monty and fortunately there has been no evidence he is mean-spirited (no pun intended). A lot of paranormal activity is allegedly associated with Room 19 with guests reporting the locked door is inexplicably unlocked in the morning; guests have also stated they hear faint whispering and coughing, though they do not know where it originates.

Belle Grove Plantation
belle grove

Photo Credit: Belle Grove

Here there will be history and reports of paranormal activity at Belle Grove Plantation.
We're eternally grateful for your patience.

Paxton Manor

Photo Credit: Shocktober

Here there will be history and reports of paranormal activity at Paxton Manor.
We're eternally grateful for your patience.

St. Albans Sanatorium

Photo Credit: Colonial Ghosts

It will come as no surprise that a former asylum is now a highly paranormal property. St. Alban's Sanatorium was once a Lutheran boy's school that fit every boarding school stereotype, which unfortunately led to numerous student suicides. However, before it was a school, it was the site of a Shawnee attack that resulted in the murders of five people and an unknown number of prisoners, according to survivor accounts. The Battle of Cloyd's Mountain also took place on the site of St. Albans during the Civil War, which may explain why visitors sometimes hear gunfire and smelling smoke.
It was finally reopened as a sanatorium, but it was anything but sanitary. Common treatments were cranial lobotomies, electro-shock therapy and insulin-induced comas, which would sometimes lead to brain death or actual death. Other patients would commit suicide to avoid further experimentation to "cure" them. According to Atlas Obscura, the staff to patient ratio was 48 to 6,509 by 1945. Most of the paranormal activity is reported in the hydrotherapy rooms and, oddly enough, the bowling alley by a girl named "Allie." Furthermore, several explorers have reported full body apparitions, disembodied voices and screams, as well as objects seemingly moving of their own volition.

The Martha Washington Inn & Spa

Photo Credit: Only In Your State

The manor itself was built in 1832 as a retirement home for General Robert Preston to repay him for his success during the War of 1812. So, Martha Washington did not actually live here, but it was named after the first First Lady when it was converted into a college for young women in the mid-19th century. However, during the Civil War, the students became nurses in the makeshift hospital and the property became a training barracks for the Washington Mounted Rifles. It would serve as a hospital again, but for the typhoid outbreak. It was eventually closed in 1932 and over the years, it acted as housing for actors performing at the Barter Theatre and then as a hotel with renowned guests, such as Eleanor Roosevelt, Jimmy Carter and Elizabeth Taylor.
If you enjoy violin music, be sure to request room 217 and maybe the former student Beth will play you a tune. It's said she cared for a wounded Union soldier named Capt. John Stoves and the two fell in love. Unfortunately, Stoves died before she could play him one last song on her violin. There is also a story of a Confederate soldier who was shot by Union soldiers inside the Martha and for some reason, the bloodstain continues to reappear even after numerous renovations and cleanings. This isn't the only messy ghost at the Inn; another soldier has been seen limping through the halls and leaving a trail of mud. You may also encounter ghosts of slaves past in the basement, which used to be their quarters. Guests may also see the apparition of a horse galloping across the grounds with roots from the Civil War.

The Barter Theatre

Photo Credit: Only In Your State

Most theaters are named after its founder or the town in which it's located. The Barter Theatre, the State Theatre of Virginia, received its name from the price of admission to shows during the Great Depression; they literally bartered "ham for Hamlet," as their Web site says. Instead of accepting money, founder Robert Porterfield bartered goods for entertainment and he would later offer meats and vegetables in lieu of payment to visiting actors and playwrights. By the end of its first season, the Barter Theatre would earn $4.25 in cash, two barrels of jelly and "a collective weight gain of 300 pounds" (Barter Theatre, 2018). The building across the street from the Barter Theatre would later be acquired and dubbed Barter Stage II. The buildings that hosted the theater's productions have also acted as a town hall, a church and a jail that was located in the basement. The jail space is now used as a dressing room for the actors.
It's unclear if the tunnel between the Barter Theatre and the Martha Washington Inn & Spa is still clear, but allegedly there was a tunnel contructed by Confederate forces in the area if a speedy getaway was necessary. During the 1930's and 40's, actors who would use the tunnels reported sensing an angry spirit of a man who died during a tunnel collapse. It's believed the theater's founder himself, Robert Porterfield, still haunts the Barter Theatre. He has been seen sitting among the audience on opening nights or even in the manager's booth. Actors feel seeing Porterfield is a sign of good luck; however, he also goes backstage to move props during performances, so apparently he still likes to have a bit of fun. I guess you would have to lighten the mood if there was another ghost of a housekeeper present who yells at anyone who rehearses past working hours.

The Tavern
the tavern

Photo Credit: The Tavern, Abingdon, VA

The Tavern, built in 1779, is the oldest building in Abingdon and was originally used as a tavern and inn. The first post office ever in this region was located in the east wing of The Tavern. Over the past centuries, it has served as a makeshift hospital during the Civil War, a bakery, a general store, a barber shop and bank, among other uses. During its time as an inn and tavern, this establishment hosted at one point President Andrew Jackson and Louis Philippe, King of France.
Today, it is an historic fixture in the town and it's a known fact, not a myth, that The Tavern is haunted. The current owner makes it a policy for he and his staff to be out of the building by midnight. The staff have had their fair share of paranormal experiences and fully embrace this policy. One server was cutting bread when a wrapped up loaf of bread flew at her with no help from anyone alive. There have been footsteps and voices from rooms that have no one in them. There have been reports of a prostitute, known locally as the "Tavern Tart," who was murdered here and now haunts The Tavern's second floor. There have been other deaths in The Tavern, not including those that would have occurred on the third floor where the hospital would have been set up. Captain Gordon William Rife is rumored to haunt The Tavern after he was murdered by an angry cuckhold of a husband after he found out Rife was sleeping with his wife. Another cheater on the premises is one who was shot for cheating at poker. A paranormal investigation was conducted at The Tavern in 2008 to substantiate or debunk the ghostly sightings. During that night, they recorded a chair moving, seemingly on its own, and several EVP's (electronic voice phenomena) that they didn't clearly hear before, though more than once they swore they heard whispering where there shouldn't have been any people.

Hollywood Cemetery

Photo Credit: Regency Inn Richmond

One would think this site is called the Hollywood Cemetery because of its deceased residents; however, the name "Holly-Wood" was suggested because of the many holly trees in the area when the site was being surveyed for the future cemetery. The cemetery features lakes, mausoleums, bridges and various examples of Egyptian, Classical and Romanesque architectural influences. Two Virginia U.S. Presidents, James Monroe and John Tyler, are buried in the Hollywood Cemetery with monuments erected in their honor. The one and only Confederate leader Jefferson Davis is also buried here. After the Civil War, the U.S. government refused to have Confederate soldiers buried in national cemeteries, so a Confederate area had to be allocated for Confederate soldiers and officers who died during or after the war. The large Pyramid by their tombstones was built as a monument to the Confederate dead, but visitors say they have heard moans and crying originating from there, as well as feeling cold spots.
Since it is a cemetery, paranormal activity is to be expected, but it is where the dead are trying to rest. Aside from the picturesque views and the copious amount of history that makes up the Hollywood Cemetery, there is also another landmark that brings lovers of the macabre to the cemetery. This would be the legend of the Richmond Vampire who allegedly took refuge in the tomb of W. W. Pool. It was later reported that the so-called vampire was actually a young railroad fireman who was the victim of a boiler accident. He became horribly burned, which made his skin tear and peel off his body in bloody layers and several of his teeth were shattered, looking quite jagged and sharp. He unfortunately died a few days later, but the myth of the Richmond Vampire lives on. There aren't many reports of full body apparitions at the Hollywood Cemetery, but a girl has been seen playing with a dog late at night by the gravesite of a three year old Scarlett Fever victim named Rees. By her tombstone, there is a statue of a dog, which serves as a sort of guard. Sometimes visitors and groundskeepers alike can hear the growl or bark of a dog whenever they approach too close.


Photo Credit: The George Washington Foundation

Before it was called "Kenmore," this mansion belonged to Betty Washington Lewis and her husband, Fielding, and sat on 1,300 acres of land. It is historically significant because Betty was the sister of George Washington, whom you may know as the first president of the United States of America, and Fielding acquired supplies for the war effort, as well as helping to form and finance Virginia's first navy. Fielding was a prominent businessman in the Fredericksburg area before the war and began construction on the mansion he would move his family into, which was finished in 1775. After Betty and Fielding died, the mansion passed through various ownerships until it was bought by Samuel Gordon in 1819 and named it Kenmore after the Gordon ancestral home in Kenmuir, Scotland. The mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 and is a renovation project for the George Washington Foundation in order to create a piece of history frozen in time.
Fielding Lewis apparently has some unfinished business in his home, as he is frequently seen in Revolutionary clothing in the upstairs bedroom. Disembodied footsteps and whispers have been heard on that floor and doorknobs are seen turning on their own. It could very well be the constant renovations to his estate, or the memory of constant financial insecurity during the Revolutionary War that keeps Fielding active at Kenmore. Fielding nearly went bankrupt from not being able to trade with Great Britain while supporting a gun manufacturing company and his family; the stress may well have killed him in 1781, just in time for Cornwallis to surrender to Washington.

Ferry Plantation House
ferry plantation house

Photo Credit: Trip Advisor

The Ferry Plantation House you see today is built mostly from the ruins of the previous buildings that were on the property, which included a courthouse and Walke Manor. Prior to this, the second courthouse on this land hosted part of the trial of Grace Sherwood, Virginia's only convicted witch. The name "Ferry Plantation" stuck to this property because of the ferry boat service that ran along teh Lynnhaven River.
One of the main spirits seen at the Ferry Plantation is the woman dubbed "The Lady in White," who presumably fell down the stairs and broke her neck in the early 1800's. Visitors have seen her wandering the fields and riding an old-fashioned bicycle. She's also been mistaken for a guest at events held at the plantation house. There have been numerous investigations and readings done at the Ferry Plantation House, which have led to identifying orbs, EVP's and full-bodied apparitions of former slaves, family members and even children who have not passed on. Docents and visitors alike have seen children running along the grounds and through walls, and later being able to identify them in old photographs found in the Ferry Plantation House's archives. The origins of paranormal activity do not appear to begin in the early 19th century since numerous arrowheads have been found in the gardens and a Native American, possibly Chesepian, burial site was uncovered during construction of a nearby neighborhood.

Assateague Lighthouse
assateague lighthouse

Photo Credit: Island Manor House

Assateague Lighthouse was built in 1833 in order to have a beacon partly between the Delaware and Cheseapeake Bays as shipwrecks were a common occurrence among the shoals along the coast. It may be because the job of building the lighthouse was given to the lowest bidder or the harshness of the sea's erosive power, but by 1850 it was reported that bricks were already falling out and the tower itself needed to be whitewashed. In 1858, Assateague Lighthouse was declared ineffective because its light could not be seen even 14 miles off the island's shores in the Black Fish and Winter Quarter shoals. Funds were requested to simply build a new lighthouse, which were granted; however, by that point, the Civil War was waging and the island's residents voted 130 to 2 to stay with the Union (which is pretty awkward for those two lone residents), so the lighthouse remained lit for the majority of the war. In 1867, construction of a new 140-foot lighthouse was finally completed and stood an additional 22 feet upon a bluff. Unlike many lighthouses today, Assateague Lighthouse is still actively used as a beacon, though it hasn't required a light keeper since the earliy 20th century.
For hundreds of years, it has been accepted that Assateague Island is haunted by spirits of seamen who were unfortunately not rescued from ship wrecks, so it could be assumed some of the unexplained activity at the lighthouse could be attributed to such wrecks as the Spanish ship La Galga, which carried the horse descendants of the horses still roaming the islands today. There is also a tale circulated by a National Parks Service employee who states the door to the lighthouse has been inexplicably found unlocked on numerous occasions.

Captain Timothy Hill House
timothy hill house

Photo Credit: Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce

Here there will be history and reports of paranormal activity at the Captain Timothy Hill House.
We're eternally grateful for your patience.

Island Manor House
island manor

Photo Credit: Only In Your State

Here there will be history and reports of paranormal activity at the Island Manor House.
We're eternally grateful for your patience.

Click on the Gh-gh-gh-ghost to Return From Whence You Came